Altamira was formed in late 2012 through a combination of Invertix, a DoD software and services company, and Near Infinity, a USG agency software business which were backed by two PE firms. The combined entity was designed to provide high-end technology services and solutions to the DoD and Intelligence Community.
By 2014, the business was plagued by steady erosion of base business, a weak pipeline, 25+% staff turnover, and disconnects among the management team. This situation led the Board to hire a new CEO, Ted Davies. While the original thesis remained intact with ample market opportunity, a major strategic change needed to take place.
Attain Capital Managing Partner Ted Davies developed and oversaw a comprehensive strategic overhaul of a declining business into an industry powerhouse over five years.
Strategic five-year plan development included three pillars
- Grow base business
- Invest to drive differentiation
- Selectively open avenues for growth in new markets
Leadership Team Construction
- Developed Chief Growth Officer to drive sales team
- Hired new CFO and CTO
- Promoted and mentored a COO along with other key internal employees
- Built a pipeline that exceeded $5 billion by time of exit
- Modernized internal systems and infrastructure to achieve scale and expand margins
- Closed two strategic acquisitions that diversified business into cyber market
- Grew revenue more than 2x
- Pipeline grew to $5 billion and won over $1 billion in new business from 2015-2019
- Became leader in space-based analytics at the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC)
- Turned business from a loss in 2015 to ~10% EBITDA margins in 2019
- Acquired $20 million in revenue through M&A
- Acquired by ClearSky-led investor group